Drinking water for the baby
Considering their size, children drink much more water than adults. It is therefore important that water is the safest possible.
What can be done to protect the quality of tap water for your child
* For children under 1 year is advised to test the water to check for nitrates. Nitrates can cause anemia in children. When children have anemia, blood can not carry enough oxygen to body cells to act and grow well. The health department or local environmental agency will tell you how to find an inspector.
* Use cold water for drinking, cooking and preparing formula. Lead and other harmful substances can accumulate in water heaters.
* If you have not opened the faucet for six hours or more, let the water run a minute or more before mixing the formula or other food for the baby. This will help prevent exposure to lead and other contaminants that can be in the water or pipes.
* At least once a year, send to test the drinking water is not regulated by the government. Example: water from a private well.
* To learn more about drinking water quality, contact your health department or local environmental agency.
More people drink bottled water than before. However, some brands simply take tap water and bottled water packaged as.
Sometimes bottled water has better taste than tap water, but usually costs more. Unless you know that your water supply is contaminated, bottled water typically does not offer health benefitscompared to tap water.
Not usually add fluoride to bottled water. Fluoride promotes healthy teeth and prevents cavities appear. For this reason, many systems add fluoride to public water. If you get bottled water to their children, tell your doctor or dentist.
Water Filtration Systems
Some families have water filtration systems in the home. These systems can improve taste and appearance of the water. Some filters are attached to the tap and treated water coming out of it. Other filters are placed inside special jars for water. The purified water for these systems cost less than bottled water. However, it is necessary to carefully maintain the filters. Without proper care, they can accumulate bacteria or other contaminants.