Do you have any pet in your house? Beware, your pet may pose any threat to your children’s health. Hairy pets such as cat and dog can cause pet allergy, especially dogs and cats with thick fur, although mouse, rabbits, birds and hamsters can also become the allergen carrier.
The allergen comes from pet’s skin, fur, and even their saliva. When they rub themselves to your body or lick you, they leave their fur, saliva and especially dander (small pieces of pet’s dead skin).If you have pet in your house, the allergen will spread wide out in the house, not only on the pet’s body, but also on your clothes, shoes, bed cover, etc.
The best solution for your children or families with pet allergy, is not to have pets in the house at all. But, if you want to keep the pets, these are several rules you must follow to take care of the pet allergy from the children :
- Keep the pets always out of the house, or in the garage that is separate from the main rooms. If not possible, at least keep them away from your children bedrooms.
- Don’t let your children play with the pets at night, as asthma symptoms mostly appear at night.
- If your children wants to play with the pets in the garage or outside the house, provide a pair of clothes that they can wear every time they want to do it. Afterwards, they can hang up the clothes back. This way, the children won’t bring the allergen with them when they go back to the house.
- Ask your children to always wash their hands with soap every time after they play or even touch the pets.
- Give bath to your pets at least once a week. Cats never like water, however after sometimes, they will get used to it.
- Never driving out with your pets in the car. They can leave their dander on the couch for a long time.
- Clean your furniture frequently, at least once a week, using a special chemical to get rid of pet’s dander on the surfaces.
- Basic hygiene, regular check-ups, routine vaccinations, proper grooming and skin care for your pets will help a lot in the prevention.